Home - History Events - Contact Us - Location - Photos - Links - Image result for facebook symbolacebook

 

About Llandybïe

 

         Llandybïe has a very ancient history. The church was originally founded by Tybie the daughter of Brychan the King of Brycheiniog in the fifth century. The early settlement would have served the needs of Kings, Princes and subjects alike and would have come under the influences of the three local castles, Carreg Cennen, Dynevor and Dryslwyn.

 

       Pope Nicholas IV in the year 1288 presented the tithes of “Llandybyeu” to Edward 1st to defray the expenses of the Crusades. In times past two fairs were held annually in the village, one on Whit Wednesday and the other on St.Stephens day or Boxing Day.

 

      The Old Corn Mill is the oldest building in the village. Situated on the banks of the Marlais River and during the centuries it formed one of the centres of activity in the village. The bridge over the Marlais River was mentioned in the manuscripts of Edward Lluyd in 1696, it was also mentioned by Richard Fenton in 1785. During the Napoleonic Wars there was a weapon forge producing various weapons situated near Glynhir Mansion.

 

      At the close of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century Llandybïe and the surrounding area became industrialised with coal mining becoming the predominant industry and chief employer. Limestone quarrying and lime production also became important. The lime kilns are over 120years old and are among the oldest of their type in Wales and are still standing and visible. This was also the time that the railway line was built linking the village with Mid-Wales and onward to England and south to Llanelli, Swansea and the sea. With these changes the beginnings of modern Llandybïe emerged.

 

      Llandybïe has a strong cultural heritage both past and present. The first five day National Eisteddfod that took place during the Second World War was held in the village in August 1944. This being after a series of one day events held in the early years of this period.

 

      Today the village has both a Male Voice Choir and Ladies Choir that are renowned locally. Local societies cover a range of interests and a permanent small library is based in the old school that is also home to various clubs and further education classes. The village is fortunate to have the “Memorial Hall” built with workers subscriptions to act as the centre of the village to hold the many events that are put on by various organisations in the area. The hall was built to commemorate the villagers who sacrificed their lives in the first “World War”. The “Memorial Hall” has been completely refurbished to a high standard with the help of grants from various organisations.

 

      The modern village is now a mixture of old and new with the old properties constantly being modernised and new houses being constructed to cater for the continuing increase in population which was shown to be recorded at 3738 during the 2001 census. The religious needs of the community are covered by the church and various chapels in the village. There are a wide range of retail premises in the village, a number of public houses, sports clubs, restaurants and takeaways catering for all the needs of the population. The sporting needs are covered by Llandybïe Rugby Club who play in the western divisions of the Welsh Rugby Union, Glynhir Golf Club which is   well known locally, the Tennis Club and Bowls Club both with very good facilities.

 

Last Updated - Wednesday, 19 April 2017